Monday, December 21, 2009

Give Thanks!

This year I decided that I wanted to get more involved with organizations that are making a difference. I felt like this would be a great way for me to give of my time, money, and resources and know that it was making a difference. The first way I chose to get involved was participating in the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Give Thanks Walk. This was a 5k that was set up to raise money for the organization. When I signed up to do the walk and raise money I thought I would go for a small goal. Then I realized that by doing that I wasn’t showing any faith that God could provide more than I could do or expect. My final goal for the event was $500. This seemed high but I had all hopes that I would make it. To my surprise people were very generous and I not only met my goal but I exceeded it.
http://www.givethankswalk.org/
http://www.stjude.org



The walk was held at Potomac Mills Mall bright and early on a Saturday morning. It was a little difficult getting out of bed but I couldn’t say no after all the effort I put into it. I really enjoyed the walk and was so impressed at how many people came out to support. Katie and I walked the 5k with hundreds of other supporters including, men, women, and children. There were encouraging faces everywhere. After our walk we quickly made our way to IHop. We were a couple of very hungry girls. From there we went to Ikea for a little shopping. However, we got there a little early so we had to wait in the children’s section which brought out the crazy little girls inside us! We were silly but had a lot of fun!

When I sent out my thank you letter to my supporters I included the following quote because it is exactly how I feel right now.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~Edward Everett Hale

I have many other events and activities planned for the near future (stay tuned) so come out with me and make a difference. Each of us can do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment