Monday, December 21, 2009

Oh Canada, Oh Canada!

So my work gave me the great opportunity to go to Ottawa, Canada for a few days. At first I was a little hesitant due to the fact that I don’t really like the cold weather and my only other experience in Canada was not the best. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

The flight there wasn’t too bad and I had a lay over in Chicago. On my flight from Chicago to Ottawa I sat next to a very nice man who is a WL in Jacksonville, FL. He was having issues with his pay and was hoping I was his DC contact. He was a very nice man who tried not to be too creepy with a young lady. It was cute.

Once in Canada I made my short drive to the hotel where they informed me that I had been given an upgrade. Apparently they didn’t have the room available that I had originally booked. They put me on the 24th floor in a king suite! I had more room than I knew what to do with. The suite included a full kitchen, two bathrooms, a guest room, a master king size room, living room, laundry room, and sun room. Talk about an amazing view from 24 stories up! It was a perfect view of the Ottawa River, the bridge, and downtown. I tried to capture the beauty on my camera but it didn’t do it justice! That first night I got my things ready for my meetings the next day, went out to explore the town a little, and got some dinner at the local subway. Parts of the trip didn’t feel like I left the US at all.

I loved the fancy robe they gave me too!


The next day I had my meetings bright and early and did some work in the office. Two of the ladies I worked with took me to a very nice Mediterranean lunch. After a little bit more work I left the office to go back to the hotel and send some emails. I quickly did what I needed to get done and headed out to explore the town.


I found my way to all the old government buildings. First I came across the Supreme Court and a lovely stone church. Then I walked down further and found the Parliament buildings. It was so cool because anyone could just walk right up to it like it was nothing. Clearly at that point I was no longer in the US. In front of parliament was a fire display representing the different Canadian provinces. I only know this because another tourist was talking to his children about it! Thanks Mr. Canadian! After walking around the parliament area I walked down town a little further. I saw some more nice architecture and other statues that I didn’t know anything about.




Finally, I came across what is now my favorite spot in Canada, the locks. There was a path that went down to the locks and a museum that was being remodeled right on the Ottawa River. Along the river was a trail for biking and running. I walked up the trail a little bit to see the beautiful trees changing. On way back to the locks I saw a kayaker in the water. It was so cool to see him out there…it made me a little jealous! After that nice stroll through downtown Ottawa I headed back toward the hotel and picked up some dinner on the way.




I was excited about my experience but then I had the whole evening alone…I don’t like being alone very much but I survived. I got a good night sleep and headed out the next morning for my flight back to the states. Once I got back to DC I was excited to see Katie who picked me up from the airport. It was so nice to see a familiar friendly face after a few days away!

Well, I think that is my last trip for a while so I am still relishing in the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment