Saturday, January 9, 2010

GO TEAM!

Go Team in Training!

This morning we ran 10 miles on the W&OD Trail this morning! It was a really good run but came with a few challenges. I really like running with Melissa. We usually keep about the same pace and it is fun to have someone to talk to along the way. This was the first time we used the fuel belt which was a little hard to get used to but I think it will work out. The trail was mostly covered in snow and ice so that was a different running experience as well (kind of like running in sand). Another new experience was using gels. They have a really weird texture but didn't taste too bad. It definitely gave me energy so it was worth it! I enjoyed the new trail with new scenery. We ran across a bridge that went over Interstate 495 and I thought that was really cool. While others where driving around the metro area we were running through Vienna! It was a challenging run but totally worth it!



After our run we went back to the community center and had the chance to listen to some amazing people who are fighting and even harder battle. Our honored teammates shared their stories of how they are living through blood diseases. It was a very emotional time and made us all really remember why we are doing this. I was truly inspired by some of my actual teammates who are running marathons and half marathons and are also fighting lymphoma. They truly are my heroes and inspire me to keep running!

Everyone knows someone who has had cancer or is currently fighting some form of cancer. So go out and find a way to make a difference! I am running this marathon for those who I have known that have fought blood diseases and for those who are currently fighting cancers of all forms. Some of the stories we heard really hit home because my aunt is currently being treated for stomach cancer. Knowing that people like my aunt are finding the strength to fight cancer makes me want to finish this marathon even more! I am so excited about running this marathon and raising money for an amazing cause.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/shamrock10/ashaff

No comments:

Post a Comment