Thursday, January 14, 2010

The “Susan B. Anthony of running”

I read this article today about "K.V." Swizter, Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to break the gender barrier and officially enter and complete the Boston Marathon in 1967. Her story of perseverance and strength was very inspiring. She went on to win the 1974 NYC marathon and still inspires athletes today (including myself).

 

Here is an encouraging excerpt from the article:

"The marathon has been one thing that has phenomenally changed women's view of themselves.  And charities, Team in Training, and Jeff Galloway - and all these people who often get criticized for dumbing down the marathon - I don't criticize them.  They've made the marathon accessible to everybody, and suddenly, to do a 5-hour marathon is no longer a laugh – it's considered a heroic and wonderful thing to do and that's really great.  A lot of women didn't get into sports and they still don't now because they think you have to be good or you have to be competitive, and you don't.  It's all about participation and getting out there and once you do that, you get that self-esteem."

http://www.heractivelife.com/women/comment/hal-interview-with-the-legendary-kathrine-kv-switzer-part-one/


--
Amanda

I'm excited to say I am running my first endurance event with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! Please help me reach my personal goal of $2,000 by making a tax deductible donation at:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/shamrock10/ashaff
Thanks for helping find a cure for blood cancers!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment